Jerome O. Carter, MD
Pain Medicine Specialists located in Baytown, TX
Chronic pain comes in many forms and affects at least 20% of American men and women. As an experienced pain management specialist at Advanced Pain Management Specialists in Baytown, Texas, Jerome Carter, MD, can provide solutions for even the most complex pain conditions. You don’t have to live in pain or risk opioid dependency to control your discomfort. Call Advanced Pain Management Specialists or schedule an appointment online today.
Pain Management Q & A
What is pain management?
As a pain management specialist, Dr. Carter brings advanced training and expertise to diagnosing, preventing, and managing painful health conditions. This specialized area of medicine focuses on:
- Identifying the exact source of your pain
- Developing a course of treatment, either conservative or surgical, to eliminate pain
- Helping you avoid surgical care whenever possible by using conservative therapies
- Identifying solutions to manage even the most complex pain conditions resistant to traditional methods
- Providing medication management to safely control long-term use for chronic pain
- Offering rehabilitation services after surgery
Dr. Carter can help manage a broad spectrum of chronic pain problems and spinal dysfunction.
How are pain conditions diagnosed?
Dr. Carter diagnoses chronic pain conditions by conducting a comprehensive medical exam that often includes:
- A full musculoskeletal evaluation
- Lab testing
- MRIs, X-rays, or ultrasound imaging
- Nerve conduction studies or electromyography (EMG)
- Neuropsychological screenings for head injuries, cognitive disorders, or dementia
Dr. Carter also understands the significant role chronic pain can play in psychological distress, so they can even make recommendations for counseling and emotional support based on your examination.
What types of pain management therapies are available?
Dr. Carter offers numerous pain management techniques to help provide relief for multiple conditions, including:
- Epidural steroid injections
- Selective nerve root blocks
- Facet blocks
- Lumbar discogram
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- Occipital nerve blocks
- Trigger point injections
- Peripheral nerve blocks
- Joint injections
- Hypogastric plexus blockade
- Sympathetic nerve blockade
- Radiofrequency thermal coagulation
- Percutaneous lumbar disc decompression
- Percutaneous lumbar laminotomy (mild®) procedure
They also provide spinal cord stimulation as a pain management technique.
What is spinal cord stimulation?
Spinal cord stimulation (SCS) is an innovative pain management technique that uses an implanted device to interrupt and weaken your pain signals. Dr. Carter might recommend SCS to alter the nerve activity in a specific area of your body, especially chronic back, neck, or lower extremity pain.
When you have SCS, Dr. Carter implants a small device near your spine to deliver mild pulses of electricity to the nerves near your spinal cord. You control your SCS device with a handheld remote, so it’s easy to turn off and on and to adjust its settings.
Dr. Carter offers a trial period to test the SCS device before implanting it.
Call Advanced Pain Management Specialists or schedule an appointment online today.
List of Services & Procedures
Neck Painmore info
Back Painmore info
Herniated Discmore info
Hip Painmore info
Joint Painmore info
Knee Painmore info
Arm Painmore info
Leg Painmore info
Bulging Discmore info
Cervicogenic Headachemore info
Pain Managementmore info
Disc Degenerationmore info
Pinched Nervemore info